12.1.12

TABLOID

TABLOID
Directed by Errol Morris

         

OK, so my housemate is a film student and took me to see Tabloid screened at Ritzy Picturehouse last month. I hadn't watched the trailer and she had described the general outline to me, but as usual I wasn't listening properly (she talks too much) and agreed because now and again I like going to the cinema and also fancied a bit of popcorn (sweet, salted can get out of my life). More to the point: I was NOT expecting this.

TABLOID retells the story of Joyce McKinney, a woman who was accused of kidnapping a Mormon missionary and became famous for the debacle during the late '70's. The film follows her through her side of the story, with the added interview from her accomplices and others involved along the way. She doesn't exactly tell the whole picture, or at least if she does, her version is completely romanticised. As the film continues you begin to fall for her "charm" as it were, and the lines are blurred between McKinney's enigmatic dreamworld and reality. It is fun, astonishing and completely ludicrous!